As I write this, it is late Saturday night, October 15. Right now the plan is for Sarah and I to vote this coming Thursday, and Election Day itself is 24 days away. I have some thoughts I need to express on this point.
For the past week or so Donald Trump has become pretty much unhinged, firing up his base with talk of rigged elections and conjuring up fevered visions of rampant voter fraud. None of this, of course, is based in any semblance of reality, but there are some of his followers that are eating this up. I’m seeing reports from his rallies that there are some of his followers that are using words like revolution, bloodshed, and other words that bring the term sedition to mind. Make no mistake, at this point I don’t think there’s a snowball’s chance Mr. Trump will actually come out on top in the election. What I do think, based on what I’ve seen recently, is there are those who will believe that the election will have been stolen from him, regardless of how lopsided the outcome might be. I have a lot of fear about what might transpire around Election Day. I’m not speaking metaphorically; sitting here, at this moment, I feel actual, bona fide, measurable terror. I know in my heart that 99.9 percent of what is being thrown around right now is nothing more than bluff and bluster. There is no doubt in my mind that most so-called “patriots” out there are nothing more than paper tigers who will shrivel up like wilted lettuce at the first sign of any pushback. But it only takes a few idiots with firepower to do damage. I’m hoping cooler heads will prevail, but at this point Mr. Trump, far from discouraging this dangerous talk, seems to be fanning the flames. All I can do is pray we get through this, and we can somehow find our way back again from this terrible brokenness.
- What I Did Last Week - July 21, 2017
- Dignity? Priceless! - June 9, 2017
- Public is a Choice Too - February 10, 2017
- So What’s Next? - November 17, 2016
- On Groups and Tribes, Among Other Things: More Election Results Processing - November 13, 2016
- Yours, Mine and Ours - November 12, 2016
- What’s Happening Here? - October 15, 2016
- ABAPITA Files: Spontaneity is Not an Option - March 12, 2016
- Report From Sick Bay - February 7, 2016
- Life is What Happens… - February 3, 2016