An issue was brought to my attention today that I feel needs addressing. It’s something I admittedly had not given much, if any, thought to, and I suppose it doesn’t amount to much in the grand scheme of things. But, as a person who maintains a blog, sporadic as it may be, this is something worth considering.
First, I need to say that it doesn’t bother me in the slightest if you feel anything I write is worth sharing. Quite the contrary, I’d be flattered. But there is something I want to be on record as requesting: Should you feel inspired to share any of my musings, please give me and my blog attribution. Simply cutting and pasting into your own post without any mention of where it came from is really not cool. I’m as guilty as anyone of the occasional cut-and-paste job. It’s a quick and easy way to share something you feel worth sharing. The problem is, in doing this the original attribution is lost. While you might know who wrote those ingenious words, many people you share it to probably won’t, and neither will those they share it with, and on and on it goes. Ultimately it becomes just another one of those anonymous Internet memes that nobody knows the origination of. But of course it just didn’t fall out of the clear blue sky. Somebody came up with it, even if nobody knows who.
Here’s the bottom line. Writing in a blog takes energy and effort, even if it might not seem so. While I almost certainly won’t ever see a dime of monetary gain from my blogging endeavors, the idea that my writing is shared and enjoyed is gratifying in and of itself. So, as I said, if you feel moved to share, by all means do so. You can even cut and paste if you wish. Just please make sure you mention where you got it from. I’d really appreciate it. Think of it as sharing the love.
- What I Did Last Week - July 21, 2017
- Dignity? Priceless! - June 9, 2017
- Public is a Choice Too - February 10, 2017
- So What’s Next? - November 17, 2016
- On Groups and Tribes, Among Other Things: More Election Results Processing - November 13, 2016
- Yours, Mine and Ours - November 12, 2016
- What’s Happening Here? - October 15, 2016
- ABAPITA Files: Spontaneity is Not an Option - March 12, 2016
- Report From Sick Bay - February 7, 2016
- Life is What Happens… - February 3, 2016